Red Sea, Middle East —
The United States Navy shot down a drone that came from Houthi-controlled territory of Yemen on Wednesday (6/12) morning, US officials said.
The drone downing comes amid increasing attacks in Middle Eastern waters related to the Israel-Hamas war and marks the sixth time the US has shot down a drone over the Red Sea since the war broke out.
No damage was reported to US ships and no US personnel were injured, according to a US official.
Earlier on Wednesday, the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) warned ships transiting the area to be careful following reports of drones in the Red Sea west of the Yemeni port of Hodeidah.
On Sunday (3/12) the US shot down three drones targeting commercial vessels and a US warship in an hours-long attack that left several ships hit by missiles. The Iran-backed Houthi rebel group claimed responsibility for the attack.
The US condemned Iran for its alleged involvement in the attacks.
“These attacks pose a direct threat to international trade and maritime security,” the US military’s Central Command said in a statement. “They have endangered the lives of international crew from many countries around the world. We also have every reason to believe that these attacks, although launched by the Houthis in Yemen, were carried out entirely with Iranian support.” (lt/hour)