Israel should not launch military operations against Hamas in southern Gaza until the safety of fleeing Palestinian civilians is considered, White House deputy national security adviser Jon Finer said on Sunday.
To God Finer made the comments to the CBS television network. He said that Washington “has directly conveyed and will convey” this position to Israeli officials.
The militant group Hamas took about 240 people hostage during the bloody attack on October 7, which prompted Israel to encircle Gaza and attack the Palestinian territory. The goal, Israeli officials have said, is to destroy the group.
Israeli attacks have caused extensive damage in the northern part of the region, while about two-thirds of Gaza’s population of 2.3 million have been displaced to the south. According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which is run by Hamas, some 12,300 Palestinians have been killed so far.
Mr. Finer urged Israel to learn from its military operations in northern Gaza and provide enhanced protection for the civilian population by narrowing the areas of active combat and specifying where civilians can be sheltered.
On Saturday, Israel warned the civilian population in parts of southern Gaza to evacuate as it prepares for an offensive. But according to the Palestinians, the south has been constantly bombarded by Israel, making Israeli promises of security absurd according to them.