The Afghan Ministry of Public Health posted the figures on X, which was originally known as Twitter, saying about 2,400 people had been injured since Saturday, when the first 6.3-magnitude earthquake rocked several districts in the western province of Herat, which borders Iran.
A UNICEF spokesperson told VOA Thursday that “more than 90% of those reported killed” were women and children, saying that the number of “victims is still changing.” Aftershocks repeatedly struck Afghanistan’s disaster zone before being shaken again by another earthquake measuring 6.3 last Wednesday which was followed by three other quite strong shocks.
The UN’s latest situation report said Wednesday’s earthquake and its aftershocks hit villages in the Gospel, Gulran and Kushki Robat-e-Sangi districts of Herat, injuring at least 140 people. “Chahak village in the Gospel district, with 1,250 residents, was completely destroyed along with five neighboring villages,” the report said. Provincial officials reported at least one person dead and more than 150 injured in the latest quake. (uh/ab)