Anti-monarchy activists hold an action at Buchingham Palace, England. Photo/Republic/CNN
LONDON – A group of anti-monarchy activists on Saturday (23/9/2023) staged what organizers called the “first-ever” protest inside Buckingham Palace.
“A group of local activists from various regions of the UK visited the palace as tourists, before standing in the Great Hall,” Britain’s largest anti-monarchy group, Republic, said in a statement, reported by CNN.
The group released a photo in which protesters are seen standing inside the palace wearing T-shirts that read “Not My King.”
“This protest is the latest in a series of actions aimed at encouraging debate on the future of the monarchy,” Republic said in a statement.
The group said the six activists involved were briefly detained by security forces, before being escorted out of the front gate.
Buckingham Palace told CNN it does not comment on security matters. CNN has contacted London’s Metropolitan Police for comment.
Organizers described the protest as “an extraordinary statement of intent, citizens standing in the house of the monarchy to express their rejection of hereditary rule.”
The group’s chief executive, Graham Smith, in a statement called King Charles III “an untouchable monarch” who was not “immune to criticism and did not enjoy the respect that protected the monarchy when his mother was still on the throne.”
“Republicans will continue to protest against the monarchy across the country, with the next protest set for the opening of state parliament on November 7,” Smith added.
The group was also involved in organizing anti-monarchy protests around King Charles’ coronation ceremony earlier this year.