Singapore was rocked by 18 bomb threats at different locations. Photos/Illustrations
SINGAPORE – The Singapore Police (SPF) received information about an alleged bomb threat at 18 different locations on Wednesday (23/8/2023) morning, including government buildings, embassies and other points of interest.
“A security check was carried out and no items compromising security were found,” the SPF said, adding that it was notified of the case at around 9:10 a.m. local time.
Police also said they were aware of similar reports of recent email bomb threats in South Korea – apparently sent by the same person – that turned out to be hoaxes.
“The police are currently investigating a case of submitting false information about things that are detrimental under Article 268A of the Criminal Code 1871,” added SPF as quoted by Channel News Asia, Thursday (24/8/2023).
Such offenses are punishable by imprisonment for up to seven years, a maximum fine of USD36,800, or both.
“Police take all security threats seriously and will not hesitate to take action against those who knowingly provide false information about a bomb threat,” the SPF confirmed.
Previously, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported on August 17 that the country’s authorities were investigating a series of bomb threats made via email in recent weeks. However no explosives were found related to the threat.
The five emails, which identified targets such as schools and government offices, appeared to be sent from Japan and were suspected to be linked to phishing scams, the report said.
A recent email, sent on behalf of a Japanese law firm, claimed that “needle high-energy bombs” had been planted in Japanese embassies, the Supreme Court and city halls across the country, the report said.