Iran Arrests Several People in Connection with Poison Attack
Iran has arrested several people in connection with the poison attack on schoolgirls. Photos/Illustrations
TEHRAN – Iran announced it has arrested a number for a spate of poison attacks on schoolgirls that has affected more than 5,000 students since late November. This is the first arrest in the case.
Earlier, Iran’s Supreme Spiritual Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had called on Monday for the perpetrators of the “unpardonable crime” to be tracked down “without mercy” as public anger grew.
“Based on intelligence actions and research by intelligence services, a number of people have been arrested in five provinces and related agencies are carrying out a full investigation,” Iran’s deputy interior minister, Majid Mirahmadi, told state television as quoted by France 24, Wednesday (8/3/ 2023).
He did not identify those detained or elaborate on any possible motive.
Meanwhile Tehran prosecutor Ali Salehi warned those spreading lies and rumors about poisoning that they would be dealt with strictly and legally, the court website Mizan Online reported.
“In the past week, cases and lawsuits have been filed against media managers Hammihan, Rouydad 24 and Shargh, as well as several individuals,” Salehi added.
Dozens of Iranian schools have been hit by the poisoning since late November, with students suffering from symptoms ranging from shortness of breath to nausea and vertigo after reporting an unpleasant odor in the school premises. Some of them have been hospitalized.
“Twenty-five (out of 31) provinces and around 230 schools have been affected, and more than 5,000 girls and boys were poisoned,” Mohammad-Hassan Asafari, member of parliament’s fact-finding committee, told ISNA news agency on Monday.
“Various tests are being carried out to identify the type and cause of poisoning. So far, there is no specific information regarding the type of poison used,” he added.