The US Department of Justice opposes releasing details of the warrant to search Donald Trump’s Florida home, claiming it would cause irreparable damage to the investigation.
Prosecutors are demanding that the court document detailing the evidence required to secure the search warrant be kept secret, even though a number of media organizations have requested its release.
“If disclosed, the document would serve as a guide to the ongoing investigation, providing specific details on its likely direction, in a way that would severely compromise future investigative steps.”
Department of Justice
FBI agents raided the Mar a Lago compound in Florida last week to find out if the former president had obtained classified White House documents after leaving office. 11 sets of classified documents were confiscated during the search, according to the order made public on Friday.
On Monday, Trump demanded that authorities return the seized documents and said the FBI had taken three of his passports during the raid. Such a step is usually taken only when investigators consider a suspect to be a flight risk. “This is an attack against a political rival, of a level never seen before in our country. Third World!” said the former president on his social platform, TruthSocial.