Tyson Fury Announces Retirement Plans From Boxing. Photo: Reuters
“Many thanks to everyone who has provided input on my career over the years & after a long difficult conversation I have finally decided to leave & on my 34th birthday I said Bon voyage,” Fury wrote in a Twitter post. .
Also Read: Tyson Fury and Derek Chisora Talk About Contract Fight
The announcement was met with skepticism as Fury had previously said he intended to retire but returned to the ring.
He is expected to fight rematch winner Oleksandr Usyk with Anthony Joshua on August 20 for a chance to unify the world heavyweight titles.
Just on Tuesday, Fury declared his recent break in retirement was over to arrange a trilogy fight against Derek Chisora and even claimed to have appointed a new coach Isaac Lowe.
However, he has now announced his intention to retire unbeaten with a record of 32 wins and one draw from 33 matches.
Fury thanked his wife, promoter Frank Warren and a string of other coaching partners and television companies who have bought the rights to his fights over the years.
The British boxer declared before his victory over Dillian Whyte in March that he would retire after the fight because he had “150 million in the bank and there was nothing to prove.”
However, earlier this week, Warren doubted Fury’s statement that he would not fight again.
“I think what’s going to happen is, look at what happened on the 20th (August) and the results, and that will determine what he wants to do in the future,” Warren told reporters. talkSPORT.
“I think he will (return), because he’s a fighting man and he misses him. That’s what he does, he wants to fight.”