Newsdelivers.com – Mother, of course, already knows that citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, flavonoids, and fiber. Eating citrus fruits can also increase mood, make you feel fresh, and also provide essential nutrients, especially for nursing mothers and little ones.
Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is certainly very beneficial for nursing mothers. However, can breastfeeding mothers eat citrus fruits which are known to be acidic or not and are they safe for babies?
There are various myths that say that the acidic nature of citrus fruits will cause acidity in babies or give milk a sharp taste. However, the fact is that citrus fruits are a rich source of vitamin C, flavonoids, and fiber.
What are citrus fruits?
Fruits that fall into the citrus category include oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, and clementines. Citrus grows on flowering trees and shrubs. The characteristics of citrus fruits are that they have a rough skin, and a white pith that wraps the juicy segments. Citrus fruits come from Australia, New Guinea, New Caledonia, and Southeast Asia.
“Breastfeeding mothers are recommended to eat 3-4 fruits per day. However, it must be remembered that excessive amounts of food will irritate the baby. So, portion sizes have to be controlled,” said Shivani Bavalekar, Senior Executive Dietitian, Cloudnine Group of Hospitals, Navi Mumbai. The Indian Express.
Banner Nola B3 Gives Birth at 43 Years Old/ Photo: HaiBunda/Mia
Citrus fruits are very beneficial for both breastfeeding mothers and babies, you know. Here are some of the benefits:
- Helps increase maternal hemoglobin levels, by aiding iron absorption.
- Helps the mother stay hydrated, especially when she is breastfeeding.
- Assists in the healing of postpartum wounds.
- Helps improve immune function so that babies can get adequate amounts of antioxidants and antibodies.
- Play a role in preventing stretchmark postpartum due to the presence of collagen-producing properties.
- Helps to cure digestive problems, such as bloating.
- Helps reduce inflammation in the body.
- Consuming citrus fruit juices such as lemon water while breastfeeding, not only makes the body feel refreshed, but also hydrates.
- Helps produce an adequate supply of milk for the baby.
Besides being beneficial for the health of nursing mothers and their little ones, citrus fruits also have several other benefits. See on the next page, yes.
Also check out the video about 5 benefits of bitter melon for health, one of which is able to launch breast milk below.